Thursday, September 22, 2011

Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?

-Hello, My 1999 Camaro had random cylinders misfiring. I got a tune up and had the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and fuel filter changed. I was charged 280 dollars.



-I drove around with the car a bit and the check engine light came on. Cylinder 6 was misfiring. I went back and had the coil pack changed. He charged me 200 dollars.



-The car is fine now, but do you think 480 dollars for a tune up plus coil pack too much? Please consider the labor and how hard the Camaro is to get at.Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?A lot of us have paid, but that is the way works. Many shops have rates that seem high but they usually post them.Each time you enter the shop you pay a Minimum Charge no matter what plus Standard Add On things. If he would have done the whole job the first visit it may have been a little less. That should have been considered in the second charge.Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?i think it's pretty close because think about it when they get the parts there is almost always a markup in price then diagnostics and labor it's fair.unless it is a v-6 engine then it's high.Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?The coils are very expensive,I think the price was very cheap.

Yes they are easy to fit,but they are still expensive.Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?there is no such thing as a tune upWas I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?plugs about $15.00, Good wires about $30+, fuel filter about 10 bucks, coil pack about $40. all of these are easy to get to on a 3800 v6. cap and rotor about 25 bucks.

Obviously they didnt scan the car if you had to come back for a #6 misfire, which the scan would have seen.

A OBD2 cheap code reader, about 70 bucks, chiltons manual about 25 bucks, a spark plug gapper about 1 dollar. Learning to do it yourself....priceless. Yes, 480 is toooooooo much. The coil pack has 2-3 leads and 2 nuts.....hmmmm 150 to install?? yeah right!!!!

expert tunes tried to pull this on my girlfriend. Told her that the car still had the original coil pack and it was defective. I had changed the coil pack 2 weeks earlier. Its amazing that they diagnosed that with out the use of the data link, which i had tucked away and relocated when i installed her new stereo and they had yet to open the hood too. She only went in for an oil change (because i was out of town). Oh, if they supplied the parts, i'd bet they got the cheap stuff and charged you a premium price for them. I know they gotta make money, but thats highway robbery.Was I charged too much for a tune up and coil pack?Overcharged for the coil packs, but about right on the tune-up. 2 of the plugs are nearly impossible to get at yourself, therefor your kind of at the mercy of the repair shop. The coil packs are very simple to change and easily accessable. Do it yourself for under $100 for all 3.



On the flip side- I've done both for my 99' V6 RS several times... and I still get cylinder misfires... not sure what's causing the coils to go bad, but it seems every 6-8 months I'm replacing one or more. just FYI...
  • drawing a circle
  • xp
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment