Thursday, September 22, 2011

Issue(s) with '99 Mercury Cougar?

Hey all... I'm new here, and I'm looking forward to meeting you all, and learning from you. With that being said, here's the issue(s) (Sorry if it gets a bit long winded...)



My wife's 99 cougar has been acting up lately. I guess that this has been going on for some time, but she neglected to tell me (I guess she thinks I'm Kreskin and I was supposed to just know it was an issue). Anyways, It's gotten really bad in the past 3 days, when the temperature here dropped well below 0 degrees. The car seemes to start ok, and the RPMs goes up to about 1000, then it falters and stalls out, unless I keep my foot on the gas. When it stalls out, the whole car vibrates very badly. Her check engine light was on (and has been for about 2 years now), so I took my code reader and she had 14 errors. Here's the errors...

P1507 - IAC Underspeed Error

p0156 - HO2S Sensor Circuit Malfunction

p0402 - EGR Flow Excessive Detected

p1401 - DPF EGR Sensor Circuit High Voltage Detected

p1131 - lack of HO2S- switch

p1151 - lack of HO2S- switch

p0301-p0306 - cylinder 1-6 misfire

p0171 - Bank 1 too lean

p0174 - Bank 2 too lean



I erased the above codes so that I'd know what I had to start with.



I called a friend of mine and he in turned called a friend who used to work on fords/mercury's, and he said to check my Vacuum Advance Tube. Well, in the process of trying to figure out how to disconnect it from the boot after the MAF, I broke the flexible tube, so i went to the nearest Autoparts store and got a piece of tubing. My friend told me to plug up that tube and when I did that, the car seemed to respond back to normal. All indications pointed to some sort of a vacuum leak, since when the brakes are applied it took a little longer to stall out. After stubby-ing in a piece of hose, I still have the problem. Another friend suggested it might be a fuel pump, fuel filter, or maybe some gumming up of the gas lines since she has to park in the street and the fuel lines are setting up against the snow. So earlier today I changed the fuel filter. I was suprised that there was very little gas that spilled out as I installed the new one. This seemed to help the idle and it also seemed to keep the car from stalling out. I also added a can of heet and a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. The car has 64K miles, so i figured that it was time for new plugs. After changing out the plugs, the idle seemed to be worse. I seemed to be getting some backfires while keeping my foot on the gas and again when the car stalled out. I listened for any vacuum leaks in the engine compartment, and i didn't hear any. I did however hear a very repetitious noise that seemed to coincide with the white markings on the timing belt as it rotated, but that could be nothing. I also bled the brakes in the car, as she said they were getting %26quot;spongy%26quot; and she had a hard time stopping about 75% of the time. I did not notice any air bubbles in the fluid as I was bleeding the brakes. I also noticed a smell similar to burning plastic or rubber, and there is a big hesitation when pressing on the gas from idle. After letting the car run for about 3-4 minutes, the Check Engine Light came on, and I read the code again. This time it was P0300 (Random multiple Cylinder Misfire). I quintuple checked that I had all the spark plug wires in the correct positions. Although I did the plugs one at a time so I wouldn't get them mixed up.



So here's what I gathered from different forums for possible causes. Please tell me which ones I should just disregard as gobbledy-**** and which ones have some merit...



1. Fuel Pump (Title says it's a 99, but door tag says it was built on 6/10/98, so I'm not sure if the recall would apply.)



2. EGR valve stuck open and/or EGR solenoid valve clogged (most likely by the foam gasket)



3. Bad Idle Air Control Valve



4. Bad Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE)



5. leak in vacuum hose somewhere in engine compartment



6. Plugged/Semi-plugged Fuel line



7. Air inlet plugged (I assume they meant somewhere after the MAF)



I've done a lot of searching on several forums, and it seems that several people are having similar problems. However, it seems that everyone has a different answer for fixing the problem.



Please leave your comments and/or if you have another idea. (Telling me I'm a complete moron is acceptable... lol )



Thanks!Issue(s) with '99 Mercury Cougar?Just who are you trying to b/s ? There is a bunch of %26quot;mekaniks%26quot; on here that might give you some really intelligent answers. Have funIssue(s) with '99 Mercury Cougar?I am having a very similar problem...Spark what did you find out?

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment