Monday, September 19, 2011

Lost power- how to regain?

What are some ways to regain lost Horsepower/Torque? My car is a 99 at 85,000miles with a 3.8L 3800 Series II. I have recently changed the spark plugs and wires with AC Delco wires and NGK Iridium plugs at 70,000 miles. I Seafoam my car about every other oil change (5,000 miles). I just replaced an O2 sensor tonight because it went out today. I have a cold air intake on right now. I also use Valvoline full synthetic 10W30 oil. I ONLY use good oils, and change at every 2,500-3,000 miles, it may be too soonto change for synthetic, but its better to change it sooner rather than later. Any ideas on what to do to regain lost power on the car? I noticed some light smoke (almost like steam) coming out of the dipstick recently. Is it just blow-by, or maybe just hot oil evaporating into the cooler outside air? Either way, I put some Restore in to seal up the piston rings. Any help would be appreciatedLost power- how to regain?Well it sounds like your doing the right thing but If I was you I would junk the NGK and stick with A/C delcos but change them at least once a year now that you car is getting some miles on it. The NGK spark to hot for your stock engine and will cause the top of the pistons to have a hot spot, not good over time anyways just keep oil changes up, and make sure there is water/coolant in your system and that motor will last you a long time as long as your not trying to be a drag racer. I know the 3.8 has a little bit of juice and torque and turns a front wheel drive tires pretty good but try to remain calm isn't a drag car by far. but that smoke you see coming out of the engine dipstick happens when you drive a car for long periods of time and its a small bit of oil burn off, even new cars do it when its hot out or making long trip, nothing to worry but if you see white milk on the dip stick then you have something to worry about but you should be good and stay away from that synthetic. You do not need it, you dont have a high performance car and it does help but really for cost savings on a daily driver you'll never get that cost back. As long as you take care of that engine you should without a problem see about 250,000 plus miles on it before you run into some major troublesLost power- how to regain?Restore will only work temporarily. You really need to freshen up the engine. The bare minimum would be to replace the piston rings and crank and conrod bearings + gasket kit.

But at that mileage you shouldn't have lost any power, unless you thrash it all the time.

Get the computer chipped up, that will get you about 10-15Kw.
  • can anybody advise me on
  • layouts for myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment