Thursday, September 22, 2011

How to fix a misfire in a 1994 Mercury Cougar XR7?

The check engine light came on, I had it checked and it says that there is a misfire in Cylinder 4. I reset the Check Engine light and it hasn't come back on. I have noticed some odd things in power loss, but it felt more like a weak transmission. Is this normal for a misfire to feel like? As well, I have ALWAYS had the problem where the engine will kind of give me a kick when i'm idling every 5 seconds or so that shakes the car. Is this the misfire? If so, why would the check engine light JUST have come on. I have changed the spark plugs and the wires, my next idea was to check the fuel injector in the cylinder 4. is there any advice you could give me on how to fix this because I really do't have money for another car, so I have to make this one last.How to fix a misfire in a 1994 Mercury Cougar XR7?that kick and shake is definitely a misfire. if you said you replace the spark plugs and wires, before you replace that expensive injector check the distributor cap. on the bottom of the cap are contact points for the rotor. if there is corrosion on the #4 contact this would cause a misfire. the rotor is obviously okay if the other cylinders are not missing. if there is corrosion on the contact replace the cap and rotor and recheck that kick on idle.

No comments:

Post a Comment