Thursday, September 22, 2011

I need help with my 1988 Milano Verde!?

I just received a 1988 Milano Verde from my Uncle as a gift. I have recently changed the spark plugs, put in a new battery, and the car is in almost new condition. It looks immaculate, I will put up pictures as soon as I get a digital camera. But I am having problems ever since my dad and I took off the distributor cap and rotor. We put the cap and rotor back on and ever since, I can start the car but it stops running no more than 2 seconds together. If anyone has any advice as what to look for or if you had the same problem, please tell me what was wrong with your car and how you fixed it.



Also, I am in need of a new clutch and I would like to have an official service and repair manual. SO if you know of any websites that I can order those from, please, feel free to throw in your two cents. Thank you in advance to everyone that offers up help.

I received the car, this past Labor Day. My dad took it out after we towed it home, Minnesota to Wisconsin. He took it out for maybe 10 minutes at a time, twice. He drove it hard and fast. When he came back from his second Speed Racer stinge the car was very hot. So we put it in the garage and left it alone. Then the next day my dad brought home some coolant, and power steering fluid(since it was almost completely out) and he showed me the distributor cap and rotor by taking it apart but when we put it back together we didn't attempt to start it since we didn't have a battery that would work without jumper cables. Today I bought a battery, installed it correctly, and then we put in new spark plugs. The plug wires did Not get crossed, they are number 1 through 6. But the wires are in poor condition and I hope to replace them soon. I am planning on replacing the cap and rotor tomorrow. I just don't get how the car ran fine a few days ago and then we took apart the cap and rotor and then next time we try to start it it starts and dies with in 2 secondsI need help with my 1988 Milano Verde!?First, congratulations! One of the best driving cars of all time! Before you start anything CLEAN THE GROUNDS! That will save you plenty of headache in the future. Then, after cleaning the grounds, rewire the grounds from for the tail lights. The starting and dying is because it is running off of the cold start injector. You need to check the fuel relay (black box on the passenger side firewall with two plugs connecting on the bottom). If you pull the black cover off of the AFM (air fuel meter) and move the arm with the ignition on you should hear the relay click and you should also hear the fuel pump come on. At the very least you should hear the fuel pump. Usually you will also see the the return line from the fuel regulator jump a bit because of the fuel going through. If you do not have either of those that means you are not getting fuel and need a new relay which is fairly common and most owners of these cars will keep spares. Since the car is running I can assume you are getting proper spark so check the relay first. I have also had a bad ground in my ECU but that caused the same problem, but the relay is usually the cause. For the clutch you can try Centerline Alfa (Centerlinealfa.com) or International Auto Parts (international-auto.com). They should have your relay too. Another good resource is Alfabb.com. There are some very knowledgeable members on there and it is free. Most of the time you will get timely responses which makes it a powerful tool. If you are not good with a wrench you soon will be. These cars need attention regularly, but they reward you for it. You can also contact me directly and I will help where I can. I have more than enough Alfa experience to see you through most issues. Hope this helped.



I am Alfaverde88 on AlfaBB.com
  • lock file
  • networking
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment