Friday, June 3, 2011

What is the correct spark plug wire placement on a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge with 3.0L V6 FI OHV engine?

Haynes Repair Manual #36071 shows the coil pack as:



3//4

2//6

1//5



, as you were looking at it from the front of the vehicle. It shows the spark plugs as:



3//6

2//5

1//4



, as looking at the vehicle from the front.



This is NOT how this vehicle was plugged in when I went about to change the spark plugs and wires. The 6, 5, 4 plugs were plugged into the 3, 2, 1 spots on the coil pack, and the 3,2,1 plugs to the 5,6,4 coil pack spots. The vehicle was running fine though?!



This pickup has about 122,000 miles on it, and I've only had it a couple of months. The spark plugs I took out were autolite, so I assume the previous owner had changed his plugs at least once since they weren't motorcraft.



Every DIY instruction I can find online, any manual I have, and anything in forums I read suggest that in Ford Rangers 1995 and later, this truck was wired totally backwards with the spark plug wires yet was running ok somehow. The coil pack is motorcraft, so I doubt it was switched somehow.What is the correct spark plug wire placement on a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge with 3.0L V6 FI OHV engine?If the truck ran fine I would put the wires on exactly like you took them off.One at a time. Getting to the coil pack. They could have used a differant coil. You can call ford with the motorcraft part number and confirmed that this is the right coil pack for your truck, but really as long as it runs good why bother.

No comments:

Post a Comment