Friday, June 3, 2011

My '83 Mercury Grand Marquis is running rich with gas,How can I fix it?

I love my car and want to really fix it up. The problem is that it runs rich. When I take it out it takes time for it to shift and when it does,the car jerks leaving a trail of black smoke. After that the car runs great,but uses alot of gas.I have changed spark plugs n wires. Which are covered badly. I constantly change the oil cuz it get really black. My drive way has black spots from where the car throws the black smoke. Shoudl I get a carbeurator? or is there anything else. I have taken my car to several places and have paid alot of $$$$. Being a girl and taking it to the mechanic is hard....What do I do?And no I cant afford another car at this time.My '83 Mercury Grand Marquis is running rich with gas,How can I fix it?it is possible that you have a vacum leak, that would cause this, also it could possibly be the pcv is plugged,( possitive crankcase ventilation ) also be sure the base of the carburator is tight on the center head, does this do it

only when its cold, if so the updraft butterfly could be stuck in the open position, other than these things i cant say ,, maybe you could get a mechanic to come and take it for a drive when it is more apt to do this;



add; the butterfly im talking about is inside the tube that runs up to the air breather from the exaust manifold,

that is to keep the carborator warm till the engine gets up to tempurature, some use a butterfly and others use a vacum unit attached at the airbreather



good luck with it,My '83 Mercury Grand Marquis is running rich with gas,How can I fix it?Refer to manufacturer's car, and you can find their own technician on that way less headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment