Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?

I am doing a tune up on my 2000 chevy cavalier. I was told that I have to gap the spark plugs and I don not know what that means. I also need to replace the spark plug wires and the fuel filter and injectors. I tried to look it up but I can not find it anywhere. Please help me out if you can, Thank you.

Mandy MarieHow do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?Mandy, I don't suggest you do this repair yourself if doing it for the first time. If you wind up with loose spark plugs or crossed wires you could have a potentially dangerous if not lethal problem on your hands. Fuel filters are a pain in the butt on older chevys and not for beginners without the proper tools. You do not need new fuel injectors.



If you insist on trying it yourself, first get a manual cooresponding to your vehicle's year/make/model. go to AutoZone and explain that you are attempting to do a tune up on your car and they will provide you with the car manual, parts and tools to get the job done. They will most likely be able to answer any questions you have as well (they can explain about plug gapping, really easy).How do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?first off your not a ding bat.secondly- the gap they are referring to is located at the end of the spark plug and yes it may need to be checked. for your vehicle I believe the gap should be about.045 thousandths of an inch. got ot auto zone they can help. as for the wires- remove each plug one at a time,replace the plug and wire at the same time,helps to keep the firing order straight.fuel filter- should be changed every six months to a year.



as for the injectors-buy a good fuel system cleaner first,they do not need replacing unless they stop working,that will require a mechanic to know if that is necessary.How do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?To gap the plugs, you need a feeler gauge. In your owners manual it will tell you what the gap is. The gap is at the end of the plug that fits into the engine. The spark jumps the gap in order to fire the fuel.

Replace spark plug wires ONE AT A TIME. If you do not, you could mess up the firing order and the car won't start.

Like the other guy said, you really need a manual. Try a Chilton's, they are pretty good. It will tell all you need to know.How do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?I think it's great that you want to learn how to maintain your own car. Since you are not real familiar with mechanics, you should get a repair manual for the car. It will give you step-by-step instructions for all of those tasks and anything else you might want to try to fix yourself.



Why do you think the injectors need replaced?How do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?Mandy: You are attempting auto repairs you are not qualified to perform on your car in all likelihood. Unless you have previous auto repair experience or have a mechanic friend helping you, my advice is to have the work done by a reliable shop such as the GM dealer or an independent shop you find at http://www.IATN.net/shopfinderHow do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?get someone who knows how to help if you want to learn,i used to do it all the time ,but they make it much harder to repair your ownHow do I change the spark plugs and wires on a 2000 chevy cavalier?what you do is take out 1 plug at a time so you won,t get the firing order messed up.take off the plug wire, get a 5/8 plug socket ( a deep well socket ) ratchet and take out the plug, take the new plug and gage it. you can get a plug gage at auto zone pretty cheap. find out what they gage at, take the gage and slide it between the tip of the plug until you feel a slight drag on the gage. put the new plug in, hook up the plug wire and do the same with the rest. as for the injectors leave them alone. it could just be the fuel filter and plugs if it misses.

No comments:

Post a Comment